Wednesday 28 August 2013

Chapter 81



“Good grief!  This bed was thrashed!”

Rachel could sleep in a bed all week and you’d hardly know it had even been slept in.  Jon’s presence in the same bed brought about a different result even without sex.  Throw a wild sexcapade in there and the sheets would be pulled from all four corners and completely torn off at the bottom. 

The tussled bed was a small price to pay for the sense of normalcy that had returned to the couple, she thought.  Waking in the night and finding him curled around her had felt right for the first time in a long time.  She’d taken for granted the little things of being in a normal relationship and just the sound of him brushing his teeth in the bathroom while she made the bed was music to her ears.

Jon spit out the toothpaste, rinsing his mouth, then wiping the residual water with the back of his hand as he opened the shower door and turned the water on.  “You’re messy in bed, babe.  And relentless, I might add.” 

“That’s because YOU are so persuasive,” Rachel replied, as, in the mirror hanging on the bedroom wall, she watched his reflection step into the shower.  Even with that horrid mess of bedhead, he was a delicious vision. 

“Own it, baby! YOU are the one woke me out of a dead sleep early this morning for round four.” 

Bed finished, she joined him in the shower, luxuriating in the feeling of his soapy chest under her hands.  “I was making up for lost time.”

Jon dropped his head under the shower spray to rinse the shampoo from his hair even as his hands found their way around Rachel’s waist and slid to cup her bottom.  “I’m amazed you can even walk this morning.”

“Walking is only mildly uncomfortable.  Sitting, however, may prove to be a little more difficult today.”

“You love it.”

“Yeah, I do,” she chuckled.  “I love the little reminders allll day long of the things you did to me the night before.  It helps me plot the things I’m gonna do to YOU tonight!”

“Your devious, plotting mind is one of the most attractive things about you.”   He finished rinsing the soap from his body before cracking a playful slap to Rachel’s behind.  “I’m gonna head downstairs and get some coffee going.  You wanna come down or want me to bring you some up here?” 

“Let me just finish my shower and comb out my hair, and then I’ll come downstairs.”

“K. Considering the way you abused my body last night, are you planning to fix me a breakfast feast?”

“Of course!  I want to replenish all those nutrients you sweated out.  Gotta have you in prime shape for tonight’s escapades.”



                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



When she found her way to the kitchen a short while later, he was sitting at the breakfast bar talking on the phone.  Nothing unusual about that, because he was always on the phone.  Rachel paid little attention to his conversations at any time and, lost in her own thoughts, even less so this morning,. 

Her coffee was waiting for her, prepared just the way she liked it.  He was a dream with that barista machine, she thought as she reached into the fridge for eggs and assorted breakfast ingredients.  A quick chop of onions and peppers, along with a little ham and her omelet was well on its way. 

Rachel had just poured the eggs into the vegetables when he ended the call.   Still reveling in the returned bliss of her life, she didn’t even notice the silence until he quietly spoke a short time later. 

“I love you, Rach.”

She turned her head over her shoulder and noticed the odd look on his face.  “I know that.  I love you, too.  What’s wrong?”

He was silent, not looking directly at her, but staring at the kitchen wall just beyond her  He took a breath and frowned before finally speaking. 

“That was Jesse.”  He paused, seeming to be searching for words, which struck her as odd considering the man made a living writing lyrics.  “Dorothea is taking the kids to St. Bart’s for their spring break.  Jess asked me to go with them … and I've told him I will.”

The once promising omelet became a scrambled mess as her body went on autopilot while her mind went numb.  She mindlessly stirred the eggs, trying to keep the waves of nausea and light-headedness from overwhelming her.  He may as well have punched her in the stomach, her physical reaction was so intense.  

She finally flipped off the burner and palmed the counter, leaning against it for support, unsure how she could even stand with the bomb he’d just dropped.

The silence was deafening as Rachel fought the feeling of being some cheap, dirty toy Jon kept hidden on the side while continuing to maintain a family with his former wife. 

In her typical mode of self-defense, she cultivated the devastating hurt into anger.  Anger was preferable to the feeling of betrayal, insignificance and worthlessness that he was trying to saddle her with.  This was the exact same thing that happened with his last trip and she realized nothing had changed.  Worse than that, nothing would change. 

“I’m worth more than this, Jon,” she quietly mumbled, proud of herself for maintaining some semblance of decorum by not screaming the words at him until he understood.   

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he barked back, clearly unconcerned with decorum.  He was going right back to the place they’d barely come out of, gloves off and ready to fight.

She turned to face him, refusing to cower at the stove with her back to him.  Rachel would try one last time to keep things low-key, while still standing her ground.  “I’m tired of being the woman you play house with when you’re not playing family with your ex-wife.  I’m not some hooker you've picked up on Main Street to fuck all night before you take off for vacation with another woman.”

His face contorted in a mix of anger and defensiveness, his voice raising, but not quite yelling. 

“Shit, Rachel… She IS the mother of my children for fuck’s sake!”

God help her, she had tried, but if he wanted this kind of fight, she would give it to him.  Rachel didn’t even know she still had the spoon in her hand until she slammed it down on the counter in a rage that had been building for months. 

“DON'T I KNOW IT!!!  Something I'LL never be because you refuse to even consider having a family outside of the sacred one you've created with Saint Dorothea!  How are we supposed to EVER build a life of our own???  You're still tied to the old one!  And I’m little more than something you keep on the back burner… an afterthought!

He slammed his palms down on the bar and regarded her with total disdain.  “I'm SO sick of having this fight every time I spend some time with my kids!!!  When are you gonna grow up and get over whatever your mental hang-ups are?”

In classic Jon and Rachel style, each raised their voice to exceed the other’s and, before long, the yelling had begun in earnest. 

“This doesn’t have a damn thing to do with your kids and you know it!  This has to do with you CHOOSING to keep your two lives separate.  You still see her as the number one woman – if not in your life, certainly in priority.  In your mind she’s the Virgin Mary!!  I don’t have to build a life with a man who jets off with another woman every chance he gets!  YOU haven’t broken that tie, Jon.  The only mental hang-ups around here are YOURS!”

“God forbid I grab every chance I can to be with my kids...”

“Yeah?!  Well God forbid I should actually have a say!  God forbid I should be allowed to be the mother of even ONE child of yours!  It isn’t that you don’t want any more children, is it Jon?  It’s that you don’t want any children outside of that blessed union with Dorothea.  Are you afraid you’ll dilute the royal Bongiovi bloodline if you sire a bastard love child outside of the confines of your ex-wife?”

In all of their arguments, Rachel had never seen anything like the explosion that followed.  It was obvious hers wasn't the only rage that had been simmering just under the surface because Jon was positively wild with fury. 

“Well maybe I don’t wanna have kids with a woman who can’t face up to real life so she runs away from me every chance she gets.  Just maybe I want the mother of my children to stay and fight instead of running away all the time!  Didja ever think of that??!!

She took a step closer to him with no intention of backing down from his nastily hurled accusations.

“Dorothea ran away from you!  Is that why you go sniffing around every time she beckons you???  So you can pick up the tab for some high-end vacation all in the name of giving your children one more precious memory with mommy and daddy?  Seems to me you’d have been better off to have given a little consideration to having children with me – I WANT to be with you.  Maybe your kids would’ve learned a better lesson to see daddy with a woman who wants him!”

He was red faced and somehow reminded Rachel of a spitting cobra, with venom dripping from his fangs when he took his next strike.  

“She may have run away from me, Rachel, but she sure as hell never whined around if she didn’t get my undivided attention or if I didn’t call home for a day or two.  If she had a cold I never heard a word about it.  If you weren't such a whiny, needy, pansy-ass you wouldn't have been at home…” he brought his fingers to the air to illustrate his point with condescending air quotes -  “‘sick’ while your husband took two young kids on a ‘family’ ski trip!  You’d have had your ass where it belonged – taking care of your kids!!!”

Rachel had reached across the kitchen island and slapped him before a conscious thought had even registered in her mind.  His head snapped back and his eyes went huge with shock and instant regret.

“Rach… FUCK!!  I’m sorry – I didn’t mean it.”  He had immediately skirted around the counter and was now grabbing her firmly by the arms, almost shaking her as he ducked his head to look into her face.  “You know I didn’t mean it!”

Honestly, the only thing Rachel knew for certain at that precise moment was that she couldn't stand the sight of the man whom she had declared was the love of her life.  She now understood the comment people often made about there being a fine line between love and hate, and if she had to look at him for one more minute, she was terrified that she would cross that line.

Her voice could only be described as a death whisper when she ordered, “Go home, Jon.....
And stay there.”



23 comments:

  1. Oh no he didnt! She should have kicked him in the balls too. what an ass! Does he really not see what he keeps doing to her? She is absolutly right!

    I really thought after the last chapter they were beyond this. But now, i I'm sad to say it but others were right. They don't belong together, he is not her prince charming, he is nothing more than a user. A man who runs to her to take his mind off his failed marriage.

    Let him go rach. He doesn't deserve you. He just proved it again.

    And as for YOU ms audra....I'm begging for a bonus chapter, i simply CAN NOT wait a whole week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheap shot Jon Cheap Shot. I want a bonus chapter I can't believe she would let him to walk out without her kicking his butt back across the street. Once again Cheap Shot.

    Wow this chapter is one of your best. Bonus Chapter Please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, *if* I'd even managed to make it to this point with Jon, that would've been the final blow, whether he meant it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish for once racheal would just let him see her cry. Does he really not see the HURT and he causes her? Go home, and dont come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, Jon, what are you doing? There is always a fine line of truth to their fights, and they really do get nasty. Jon went too far when he said he'd go on the trip, and he realllly went too far with that comment about Rachel not going on the ski trip. I think it's time to end it, as much as I like this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Shit!!!!!!!!! Bonus Chapter Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy shit is right! Implying she is at fault for the death of her children was just the nail in this relationship coffin.

      I want to know...WHY doesn't he ever invite her along on the trips? If she were his wife he would!

      Delete
  7. H.O.L.Y. C.R.A.P!!!!!......NOOOoooooooo!!!....OMG!!!!!!..Normally Id defend Jon in any way I can but.....there aint no way of defending that....Theres no way he can come back from that. Even a Marriage Proposal aint fixing that lil blurb......Why can he not see that hes wrong??..so frigin wrong...Why wont he ask her to go with them??...He just killed any relationship they hoped to have...Leave Jon & dont let the front door hit you on the arse on ya way out!!!...Wow...really need to know how this is EVER gonna get fixed...Please...Also waving for a bonus chapter....Wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry....also meant to say...outstanding chapter...Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally I really got it: sometimes two people aren't meant to be together and the sooner Rachel understands it, the better. It's sad but that's the truth, and from where I stand, Rachel needs to move on leaving Jon behind. This may be a great opportunity to accept that job in another country and start a new life away from daily fights and continuous misunderstandings. GO RACHEL GO!!!!

    Please, don't leave us hanging like that until next week ......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't see how a woman can ever forgive a man for something like this... That was the lowest blow yet! Jon...you don't deserve her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't. You just can't. I have been rooting for these 2 since that first night, but now I feel the only way I can leave this story satisfied is if she leaves him. Or there is a big time laps and he has a serious rude awakening. Those were the most hurtful things he could have EVERY said to her. It took her a long time to realize she wasn't at fault for the accident (not even really sure she has completely forgiven herself for not going with on the ski trip) and now the man the is suppose to be so in love with her says that.. WOW, just WOW!!! I can't honestly say, I HATE this Jon.

      Please Audra... MORE!!!! The writing was so amazing!

      Delete
  11. I know it's impossible but I want to physically hurt a fictional character. Instead of asking him to go, I want her to nail him by the balls on the kitchen floor. Being an ass when you're upset is one thing but this is beyond everything, it's the lowest, hurtful crap he could have said. I'm not sure any apology, groveling or ass kissing, could make her forgive him. If they don't break up, they'll have to learn to argue without being mean and hurtful. But I'm afraid that even Couple therapy wouldn't be enough to fix this mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. If the next chapter is ready, please don't make us wait until next week ;)

      Delete
  12. There is no turning back from here. All they ever do is FIGHT!! They are not meant to be together, we have to face it. Like reality, not all relationships work out. I've lost all hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Jon needs a good kick in the ass and not by Richie or Rachel but it actually could be Dorothea who talks some sense in him. He seems to admire her and still respect her. She could be the one who makes him see what a jerk he is being and say you already lost a great woman, don't be an idiot and lost another one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be onto something there. Richie will just think like a man and say she is hot, how can you give up the great sex! but no one knows you better than your ex. I think this ex could be the one that tells Jon like it is because at the moment he needs all the help he can get. What a prick he was in this chapter.

      Poor Rachel.

      Delete
  14. Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Make them work out somehow Audra! It's a story, MAKE him change, MAKE him have an eye opener, MAKE this last fight a dream, PLEASE MAKE it happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the gazillion of comments above mine. This is my favorite chapter yet! It'll be interesting to see Jon climb out of this mess! And what the hey...I'll jump on the bonus chapter bandwagon too. Please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think she got the bonus chapter memo!lol! That or she is too afraid to post the nect one because we are all pissed off at Jon...hahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I honestly wouldn't blame her if she packed her bags and got out of NJ permanently after that comment. That was so beyond contemptable that I don't think that could be forgiven, because when he said it, he meant it and no amount of grovelling can take it away once its out there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its Wednesday! We made it!!!! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete