Sunday 6 May 2012

Chapter Twenty Two


Standing in front of the huge mirrors that lined the walls of the guest ensuite, Jon tweaked at the hair flopping forward on his forehead twisting strands here and there. Satisfied he looked as good as needed he took one final look at himself before flicking off the light and heading back into the bedroom. He wasn’t due to head for dinner with Richie until six which gave him plenty of time for the call he was about to make. Settling himself down in a comfortable armchair that looked out the balcony onto the pool area he hit Rachel’s number and waited for the call to connect.

“Hey Jon.”

Her voice was relaxed and cheerful and Jon instantly smiled his greeting back to her.

“Hey…..so you survived your day in the big city huh? All the necessary corporate bigwig schmoozing complete?”

“It wasn’t so bad actually, I met some nice people in our head office and we managed to wrap early so I got some shopping done.”

Jon groaned dramatically down the phone, his eyes following the colourful movements of two birds flitting about the shrubs that lined the perimeter of Richie’s property.

“Heaven forbid a woman would have a day in New York City without shopping!”

“Hey I needed to stock up on some things so cut the wise ass cracks, you forget I don’t live in a fully furnished house yet!”

Rachel’s admonishment was teasing and light, Jon could practically see her smile lighting up that pretty face of hers.

“I’m just fooling with you……..but seriously though I’m glad you’re settling in okay, you know with the new job and everything…….” He trailed off, an awkwardness descending like a thick fog around the phone line.

“I am……thanks……How is your trip going?”

Jon squirmed uncomfortably; he didn’t know how she would react to finding out he was in the very place where she had left her life behind.

“Yeah it’s good……..I’m actually out West with Richie.”

The surprise was evident in her voice, “California?”

“Yeah Richie lives out here most of the time to be close to his daughter so I come out here occasionally to get together for writing sessions……….he’ll come to Jersey next time.”

“I see……so how’s the writing going then? Another number one hit in the bag?”

Jon blew out a guarded breath on the end of a chuckle, she seemed okay with it – maybe he was just being overly sensitive for once.

“Oh sure! Several of them in fact – easy! But enough of me and my boring shit, tell me more about your day.”

He was genuinely interested to find out more about how Rachel conducted her job, sure he knew the basics but there was always more to selling houses than dealing with a few jack ass construction guys.
 
“Well I actually managed to sort out quite a few things, up until today I wasn’t sure how long I’d be in the Navesink house but as it turns out, the investor requires the property to be on the market at the amount owed for 120 days before they’ll think about reducing to the market price and as I figure we’re about another month from being ready to go on market that means I should be able to put down roots for at least six months which is ……… comforting.”

“That’s good to hear…..for you I mean…….” Jon faltered, hesitant to convey exactly how much his heart had leapt at hearing she wasn’t going anywhere for the time being at least. “It can’t be easy figuring out your future when you don’t know where to call home.”

“Well I wouldn’t exactly classify this as home Jon………not yet.”

The sharp change in her voice was audible, she was holding back as much as he was.

“Of course you don’t, I didn’t mean it like that but it gives you time to find a new home right? Somewhere you’d like to call home?” He scratched nervously at his earlobe, dammit he was babbling like a fool. “But the repairs are coming along all the time so at least you won’t be living in a building site for much longer…….”

Rachel sighed softly, relaxing into the conversation again.

“That’s true, the pool repairs are complete and the water truck came out today while I was away to fill it so twenty four hours for the chemicals to dissipate and I can at least have a swim. I bought some outdoor furniture so if this weather holds up I’m looking forward to chilling out there this weekend.”

“A relaxing weekend sounds good; I could do with one too.” 

Jon was already calculating how soon he could get back to Jersey, this phone business sucked. 

“So you said you’d been shopping……happen to buy anything for your favourite neighbour…..arsenic perhaps?”

Her amused reply was muffled by what sounded like rushing water;

“Hmmm……..I haven’t ruled out arsenic just yet but I DID buy another bottle of tequila since my neighbour gate crashed the other night and emptied most of my other bottle.”

“Hey now! There was little more than a swallow left of that tequila by the time I got there – you’re gonna have to own up to that one yourself Ms. Braden!”

The noise was louder and her voice fainter in the distance, Jon having to crane his neck into the phone to hear her laugh back at him. What the hell was she doing over there?

“Alright then St. Jon the Innocent, I’ll concede I may have indulged a little more than normal but I do seem to recall you had a shot or twelve yourself – THAT you can’t deny!”

Sounds of splashing and rustled movements filled Jon’s ear and he grinned when he took a guess as to where she was.

“Are you in the TUB? Or taking a chemically induced swim in that new pool of yours?”

“As much as a chlorine soak sounds appealing Jon – no! I’m giving the pool a miss this evening!”

“So you are in the tub then?”

“I am…….”

Dammit this woman was going to be the death of him. Images of a very naked Rachel and lots of sudsy water made his cock stir in a way only she could invoke. Shifting his position in the chair he blew out a low whistle and smirked down the phone.

“I’m assuming here that you bathe naked right?”

“You don’t?”

The barely contained giggle escaped from her mouth across the thousands of miles between them, connecting them in an instant. This was what had attracted him to her in the first place, that lightning quick wit that sparked the fire. He closed his eyes with a contented smile, his brain concentrating of the scene in her bathroom right now.

“Lord God above…… help an innocent man in strife…………..bubbles or no bubbles?”

“Innocent you are NOT Mr Bon Jovi but yes………there are bubbles and lots of them!” More soft splashes accompanied her giggle. “I got some new bubble bath….one of my many indulgent purchases of the day. I kinda bought out Costco this afternoon.”

“Costco huh? No lingerie then I’m guessing?”

“Actually I’ll have you know Costco has a fine line of lingerie, thank you very much!”

 “Well now you’ve gone and done it woman – I’m coming home!”

The sun outside his window couldn’t have heated the fire burning in his heart more than what this conversation was doing.

“Let’s see……if I leave now I could probably be home by midnight and you could model it for me!”

“Well that’s just wonderful! One night of dinner and dancing and I’m little more than a booty call!”

Jon snorted down the phone with a wicked grin. “Baby trust me! Dinner with Richie is sounding a hell of a lot less appealing than a booty call with you!” A happy sigh relaxed his smile. “You sound better……it’s good to hear you laugh again……”

Rachel paused, a quiet drip of water the only sound before she spoke again with a quiet determination.

“What you saw the other night Jon…..it was just a momentary lapse of my nerves of steel……it won’t be happening again………”

“I sure as hell hope you’re referring to the night you singlehandedly saved the tequila business empire and not our dinner date………because as far as I can remember that was a hell of a night.”

He held his breath not quite sure whether he was prepared to hear her answer until she spoke softly and with sincerity.

“Jon I won’t ever forget that first night I spent with you…….that I’m sure of.”

“Me neither baby……..me neither. That was quite the night!” He chuckled quietly anxious to lose the melancholy lilt that threatened to dampen her mood. “In fact I’d be willing to bet a hefty portion of my last tour profits that you’re still…….how should I put this?......not quite recovered? Because I know my weary old body still aches from that wall!”

A loud burst of laughter erupted from Rachel, her voice quavering with amusement.

“Rest assured Jon, the fever has subsided and with another few ice packs and a few more dates with my friend Mr Bubbles here I should be back in business sometime before Christmas!”

Jon shook his head in wonderment, a shit eating grin spread across his face as he got to his feet to walk out onto the warm balcony, phone closely cradled against his ear.

“You know what? I knew from the minute I saw you dragging your suitcase through that rusty old gate there was something about you that I liked.” 

Gazing around at the scattering of palm trees in the seemingly empty garden below him, he lowered his voice to a wicked whisper.

“Now I know it’s that sexual depravity that you keep hidden just beneath your business attire but your secret’s out now Rachel Braden – I got you all figured out……”

“Oh you do huh?” The unmistakable squelch of a sponge being squeezed out made the blood rush straight to his groin. “Well Mr Brainiac I’d be willing to bet a hefty portion of MY last top price commission that I could probably learn a thing or two from YOU about sexual depravity if some of your old songs are any indication!”

Gripping the wrought iron railing of the balcony Jon willed his heart to slow just a little, if this kept up he’d be having a damn cardiac before he ever got anywhere near Jersey again. A passing bang at the door of the bedroom signalled Richie was ready to head for dinner. How in hell could he be expected to sit through a dinner with him now after THIS phone call? He was going to be envisioning a naked, wet and soapy Rachel all damn night long.

“Baby I gotta go but let me leave you in your warm bath with this – if you promise to model that fine Costco lingerie of yours when I get home………….I’ll teach you anything you want sweetheart……anything at all.”

Rachel’s voice was barely a breath above a whisper.

“You got yourself a deal Mister………….hurry home.”

With a soft click the line went dead and Jon was left alone for a brief moment with his thoughts until the sound of Richie’s Humvee roared to life from the garage below. He had just one more call to make before dinner and that was to the airport to let them know he was gonna be needing a runway – tonight.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I love it! Great chapter - playful and sweet. Thanks for that!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know Costco has a lingere line.... time to switch that BJ's membership to Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody is ready to go home in a hurry! hehehe! These two are so cute together. I can't wait to see the sparks fly when he gets back to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to self; Need to checkout Costco tomorrow. This chapter had me smiling, love the playfulnesss between Jon and Rachel, exactly what she needs. Hope Richie doesn't mind if Jon skips dessert tonight but he has a plane to catch lol. Rachel better get ready for a certain jersey man will be knocking on your door sooner than you expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun Love the tub and Mr. Bubbles. They were cute on the phone. How long will Jon have to take suffering through dinner with Richie? hehehe Jon is going to be Homeward Bound LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it..Bet Jon doesn't make it past before dinner drinks..Heck he might have Richie take him straight to the airport.

    So, should I break out some more inspiration today... :-X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! He's rushing home to her. How freaking sweet is THAT??? I almost like him :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh lord! Must be nice to have a rock star rushing home to you.....

    ReplyDelete