Sunday 2 December 2012

Chapter Forty Six



Not content with having spent the weekend together, Jon’s parents had insisted on inviting both of them over for dinner the following evening, much to Jon's annoyance at having less time with Rachel to himself after what had already been a full on few days. Carol had refused to take no for an answer having already invited Tony and Matt along and Jon had known better than to argue especially when Rachel had delightedly accepted the offer for both of them. Pulling up outside the house to pick up his date, Jon grinned to himself and shook his head wryly. It would only be a matter of time before Rachel learned keeping his Mom at arm’s length would be a wise decision!

Letting himself in through the front door for a change, a welcome waft of warm cinnamon lingered in the air of the vast entrance hall. A few weeks back the house had been little more than an empty shell but Rachel had been steadily transforming it into a warm and inviting home, adding decorations and little touches along the way that would make anyone fall in love with it. Sometimes Jon had to remind himself that it was technically on the market, a little fact he preferred not to think about. The possibility of not having his ‘girl next door’ any more was not a pleasant thought.

“Rach?”

Getting no response but hearing a vague thumping coming from upstairs he took the stairs two at a time and found her stomping around her bedroom attempting to wriggle her feet into a pair of soft suede heeled boots and simultaneously talking on her cell on some business matter. Crossing the room he gave her a soft peck on the cheek and kneeled to help her into the boots, chuckling at the grateful smile she gave him before she scurried into the en suite to finish her make-up, still spouting numbers and quotations down the phone. Leaving her to it, Jon headed down to the kitchen to uncork a bottle of wine – sure looked like his girl was in need of a drink.

“I am SO sorry Jon – I’m never late! It drives me crazy!”

Looking up from the newspaper he’d found, Jon grinned and handed her over the wine he’d poured for her. With her hair in a ruffled high pony tail and dressed in skinny jeans with a light blouse he was tempted to call off dinner right there and then – the girl made smart casual look sexy as hell.

“Chill Rach – it’s all good. I’ve already called my folks and told them you got hung up with work and we’ll be there as soon as we can – everything taken care of?”

Taking a healthy swallow of wine Rachel nodded, “Yeah, kinda……..I have to leave tomorrow for Charleston for a few days, one of the regional managers has bailed and left for another bank and this time of year is a nightmare to bring on new help so I’m gonna have to do my job AND his until we can get a suitable replacement.”

Harassed looking, she took another sip of wine and shrugged her shoulders helplessly. “Nothing else we can do unfortunately.”

Jon’s heart sank a little at the thought of her leaving and a slight frown etched his forehead when he thought about what was happening at the end of the week.

“How long will you be gone?”

“I’m taking the two o clock flight back here on Friday so don’t worry – I’ll be back for your fundraiser that evening.”

Jon blew out a quick breath in relief. The fundraiser that was organised to be held at his home on Friday evening was no small affair – Barack Obama was the next man he hoped to see hold the Presidency of the United States and Jon intended to play his part to make that happen. It was going to be a big evening for him and he didn’t want to even contemplate enduring it without Rachel by his side. Shrugging his shoulders he sighed;

“I guess we better get used to you having an insane schedule right along with mine!”

Rachel smirked at the sad little lost boy look he was playing so very well and set her glass down to gently caress his cheek. “Well, I don’t have to be there before Wednesday morning, so I’m taking the last flight tomorrow at four pm which means we’ll have tonight and tomorrow morning together at least.” Leaning closer to him, she teased him with a light kiss on his lips. “C’mon big guy, let’s go have dinner with your family and then we’ll come home and just relax together.”

Returning her kiss, Jon raised his brows hopefully. “Can we relax together naked?”

Giggling, Rachel grabbed her purse and took his hand to begin to drag him toward the front door.

“Naked is EXACTLY what I had in mind so come ON – let’s GO!”




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





On the drive over to the Bongiovi Snr’s house, Rachel noticed Jon was unusually quiet with his brows furrowed in thought as they coasted down the road. Reaching over with her hand, she gently squeezed his thigh.

“Penny for them?”

Quiet for  a moment more, Jon pursed his lips together before glancing over at her. “I’ve just been thinking………why don’t you use my plane – you can leave Wednesday instead of Tuesday, that way we’ll have a little more time together and you won’t be so tight on time on Friday getting back for the fundraiser.”

Rachel stared at him in amazement. “As thoughtful as that is Jon, it’s a colossal amount of money – I can fly commercial for a fraction of the cost!”

Undeterred Jon continued to press the issue as he took the turn off that would take them down his parent’s road.

“Yeah I know that but it does give us more time together before you leave and we won’t have to be rushed on Friday…….sometimes you gotta spend money to save time! I’ve got the cost covered so let me do this.”

Tensing a little, Rachel stared out the windscreen at the road ahead of them thinking for a moment how to choose her words. Turning back to him she smiled gratefully.

“I really do appreciate the thought but I’m just not comfortable with it Jon…….just let me take care of my own business arrangements……..okay?”

Shooting her a look of exasperation, Jon slowed the car to give him a little more time before they arrived at the house. “But Rach, I’m only trying to make things easier for you…….for us!”

Annoyed that he wouldn't leave it alone, she began to bristle. “I know that…..I do! Really! But I’ve already got it covered!”

“You’re being stubborn! I can make this a lot less hassle for you!”

Rachel bit back a laugh at his retort. Stubborn? The definition of the word in the dictionary had his name stamped beside it! Reaching across the console, she brushed his cheek tenderly with the back of her hand. “I’m grateful, I really am but I’m a big girl and I can handle my own business affairs. End of discussion.” 

Watching his reaction, she made an attempt to bring some humour into the tensely charged atmosphere within the car. 

“You need to be thinking about all that naked relaxing we’re gonna be doing later instead of my travel arrangements – you can have full control over that!”

Smirking Jon rolled his eyes at her as they pulled into the driveway to reveal his Mom waving excitedly from the open front door. He was pissed Rachel wouldn't play ball but he knew what fights to pick and what to just let drop –  just didn't mean he was any happier about it.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The couple of days Rachel spent in Charleston flew by in a blur of paperwork and endless meetings, leaving no time for any other communication with Jon other than the odd rushed phone call and scattered text messages. Drained and mentally exhausted, she was beginning to realise that she was not particularly enjoying her job at the moment, it was becoming a barrier that kept her from enjoying her life. Ironic really considering she dove into work in the first place to keep her from having any time to think about the past... but now work was in the way of a life that she desperately wanted.

By Friday morning, all business matters had been wrapped up as planned and she arrived at the airport in jubilant form. In just a matter of hours she’d be back in Jersey and home with Jon. Speeding through security, she carried her bags on to save time and arrived at the gate with plenty of time in hand. She smiled politely at the other passengers waiting to board as she flopped down in a seat and pulled out her cell to send a quick message to Jon when her attention was caught by her flight number being called out from the flight attendant behind the boarding gate.

“Ladies and Gentlemen…We regret to inform you that this flight’s status is delayed due to a mechanical issue in Atlanta. The aircraft is now en route and the new departure time is 3.30 pm. Please retain your boarding cards and accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.”

A rock of lead sank to the pit of Rachel’s stomach as she closed her eyes and swore softly under her breath. It was a conspiracy, karma coming back to bite her in the ass – it had to be. The new flight time would still get her back in just enough time for the fundraiser but it was cutting it fine and she knew Jon was going to be pissed. Hell, she was pissed enough for the both of them. This was a really important night for him and she knew how much he’d been stressing over the organisation of it and now she was about to add one more complication to the mix. Moving to the adjacent empty gate for some privacy, she hit Jon’s number on her cell and with a nervous swallow waited for it to connect.

‘Hey baby! How’s my best girl?’

Cringing, Rachel shifted nervously from one foot to the other and cleared her throat.

“Hey……..I’m afraid I have a tiny bit of bad news……..”

The long drawn out groan that greeted her down the line was dramatic over the soft click of what sounded like a door closing behind him.

‘You started your period, didn’t you?’

Even with the gravity of the situation, she couldn't help but giggle. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. “Would that be the worst case scenario for you right now…..me starting my period?”

‘Yup! I really don’t wanna play in a muddy field tonight because I've got a LOT of playing to do when you get back here – I’m sure you understand my predicament!”

With her voice bright and cheerful, Rachel nodded emphatically;

“Okay well in that case I have GREAT news! No muddy fields, no period! I'm all spiffy for you to play with………happy????”

‘SO happy – Jesus I haven’t had balls this blue since I was a kid! I can’t wait to get you alone and naked, actually screw that – I’m so horny I don’t even need to get you alone, or even completely naked for that matter – just move the panties aside baby and let me have my way!’

Amused by his buoyant and deliciously evil mood, Rachel lowered her voice and glanced furtively around her for any potential eavesdroppers.

“Well then, maybe I’ll just take the panties off and make it that much easier for you stud!”

The husky chuckle down the line made her shiver in anticipation. In reality she’d missed him every bit as much as he apparently had missed her.

‘Ohhhh oh oh oh……..you really ARE the perfect woman……is it just me or are you horny as I am?

 
“Mmmm, probably not……I got desperate enough to take matters into my own hands last night so I’m actually feeling pretty good!” Grinning smugly she pressed the phone closer to her mouth. “Maybe that was something YOU should have resorted to!”

‘And you didn’t CALL me to share in the fun? I should probably put you over my knee and spank your bare bottom for that one but the mere thought’s giving me a woody so come on……..hit me…….what’s your ‘tiny bit of bad news’?’

Taking a deep breath, Rachel screwed her eyes shut and blurted it out.

“My flight has been delayed – mechanical problems with the plane in Atlanta BUT it’s en route now……..”

Nervously she waited for his response down the sudden ominously silent line.

 “…………..Jon...........?”

After what seemed like an eternity, his clipped voice eventually came across the line through obviously gritted teeth.

‘So your plane isn't even on the ground in Charleston?’

“No but it’s in the air and our new departure time is 3.30.”

More silence ensued before he finally erupted.

‘Shit! I suppose NOW you understand why I wanted you on a private plane!’

“Jon it’s fine…….it’s only an hour and a half flight……….”

‘No Rachel…..it ISN'T fine! We’re talking about an event for a man I hope will be the President of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! This AIN’T a damn hair appointment you’re running late for so quit acting like that’s all it is……….FUCK!’

More than a little stunned by his reaction but accepting it considering he was actually right, Rachel breathed in deeply and kept her voice calm. “I’ll be in by five and I’ll head straight to your place…….I have my clothes with me so all I have to do is change and if worse comes to worse then I’ll change on the plane – it’ll be fine. Just calm down.”

‘Rachel you don’t know shit about what you’re talking about! It’s FRIDAY! Even if your plane does manage to leave at 3.30 you’re landing about 5pm on a fucking Friday night – Traffic will FUCK-YOU-OVER!’

The busy milling of passengers around her and the general hum and buzz of the busy terminal blurred into insignificance as Rachel stared unseeingly into the crowds, her cell glued to her ear in shock.

“Jon…. I'm sor..”

‘Just STAY there Rachel, I'm gonna see if I can charter something from there and get you here that way….’

Anger began to bubble to the top of Rachel’s shocked mind, her defence mechanism recovering itself from the tantrum it had just been subjected to.

“LISTEN to me Jon! I understand you’re upset……”

Before she could finish, Jon’s pissed off voice cut her off again.

‘I don’t have time to waste on the ‘Don’t you dare talk to me that way’ speech Rachel, save it for later – when you’re actually HERE!   Keep your phone on.’

With that the call was disconnected leaving Rachel reeling in disbelief that he had actually the nerve to hang up on her. She’d known her news wasn't going to go down well but she hadn't expected the complete meltdown that had ensued. Defiantly shoving the cell back in her pocket, she marched over to the seats to collect her bags and headed for the nearest coffee stop to await his lordship’s next instructions. It was a little early for alcohol but the caffeine hit just might prevent her from committing a murder felony when she got back to Jersey.





11 comments:

  1. Rut roh.... This is not going to end well, I fear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. His Lordship will be playing with himself If Rachel has the last word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Men! They know nothing!!

    Thanks for the great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like his lordship is in for a Royal case of blue balls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh surely this is just a fiction Jons reaction..isnt it??...I could never believe the REAL Jon would act this way..*insert sarcasm here* ;~) ....lol...Brilliantly written.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the makeup sex is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should tell him to go f*ck himself and stay in Charleston, one more night with blue balls for jonny. Fighting can be a great turn on. Very often angry sex is better than makeup sex.

      Delete
  7. LOVE RACHEL!!! Please tell me I don't have to wait until January for more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MORE PLEASE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love this story!! Please don't keep us waiting in suspense too long!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. quit fighting on Twitter and get you butts over here and finish the story!!! LOL! :P There are people waiting for make up sex!!!!

    ReplyDelete