Wednesday 8 February 2012

Chapter Five


“Are you glad you made the move over here?”

James sat companionably across the kitchen table following the completion of his guided tour of the house. Still in his work clothes, his expensive suit jacket hung behind him on the chair, his tie loosened at the neck the only hint that he was off duty.

Rachel paused to give the question some thought. “I think so, I mean it’s only been a week and my whole routine has changed but I guess that’s what I was looking for, so yes, I think I am.”

“Good.” Smiling back at her he idly ran a finger along the wood grain of the table’s surface. “I’m sorry it took so long for me to get out here to see you.”

“Don’t be silly, I don’t expect you to drop everything for me James.” She looked gratefully at him. “You’ve already done so much for me and I’m thankful, truly I am.”

“Hey, the job opening was there and you were perfectly qualified so it was an easy decision for me to make. I’m just glad I could help an old friend out.” Clearing his throat he grinned over at her, banishing the awkward silence that threatened to descend. “So have you met any of the neighbours?”

Vacantly shaking her head, Rachel wondered at the cheesy grin on his face. “Not really, there was one guy who helped me out when I first arrived but apart from that I haven’t seen anyone. It’s pretty quiet around here.”

“Ah, I see……and what did that guy look like?”

“Jeez James! I dunno, tanned, good looking I suppose – why do you ask?” She frowned at the conspiratorial look James was flashing her. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Laughing he shook his head, “No, not really I guess. Just that you’re probably about the only person, well woman in New Jersey that has no idea who your new neighbour is!”

Confusion forced her brows upward. “Huh?”

“Bon Jovi lives right across the road from you, I thought you would have figured that out by now!” He chuckled at the realisation that lit up her features and as she blinked back at him in wonder.

“So THAT’S who he was! There was just something about him that I couldn’t put my finger on him, that smile!” She giggled, blushing at the memory of their meeting at the gates. “God, I used to have such a crush on him back in the day!”

“I KNOW! We were dating then remember?” James threw his head back and laughed loudly. “You wanted me to grow my hair long like his!”

Gasping, she slouched over the table in fits of giggles. “I DID!! I remember that! You weren’t impressed with my infatuation!”

“What guy would have been?!” He exclaimed loudly, the corners of his soft eyes crinkling fondly. “Way to make a guy feel inadequate!”


They both lapsed into a comfortable silence as they thought back to their young and carefree days. Rachel remembered how naïve she must have been with none of life’s experiences weighing her down. “Those were the days huh?”

James pursed his lips and nodded slowly. “They sure were…….”

Catching sight of the time, he rose slowly from the table and tugged his jacket off the chair. “I gotta get going; I promised a buddy of mine we’d get a game of golf in tomorrow morning. What are your plans for the weekend?”

Rising with him, Rachel stretched and smiled tiredly, suppressing a yawn with her hand. “Nothing really, try and catch up on some sleep I think and maybe get to know the local area a little better. This week has been pretty busy!”

“Get to know the local area huh?” James winked at her as they walked together to the front door. “And get to know the locals too I bet!”

She rolled her eyes at him while she opened the door for him. “Ha ha, very funny James! I’m sure my chances of running into that particular local are pretty limited! He probably thinks I’m just another dumb blonde who can’t even manage to open a set of gates without needing help for Christ’s sake!”

“You’re far from that!” Chuckling, he smirked back at her before he jumped into his sleek Mercedes. “You never know Rachel, he’s a single man now or hadn't you heard?!”


He laughed louder at her from behind the wheel when the look of surprise on her face showed that evidently she hadn’t been aware of that particular fact. The engine roared to life and with a final wave, he swung the car around and accelerated out the newly fixed gates that had caused Rachel so much trouble that first day.


She stood waving until the rear lights of the car disappeared up the road and then leaned against the door jamb to gaze across the road at the distant lights of what she now knew to be the Bon Jovi residence. She’d had no idea the man was single again, well why would she? It wasn’t the eighties anymore and she wasn’t a giggling teenager with a crush on a rock star. No, she certainly wasn’t, she was now a widowed woman in her mid-forties, hardened and battle scarred from life. Rock stars were the furthest things from her mind, she had a new job to prove herself in and a new life to try and live as best she knew how.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Bright sunshine poured in from the east facing window in Rachel’s room the following morning causing her to squint as she blearily rose from a restless sleep. Ever since she’d arrived in Jersey, her sleeping pattern had been way out of whack and filled with crazy dreams that made her heart race. Every time, after a few minutes or so she would no longer be able to recall the details of them, only that they weren’t the desirable sort. She’d give anything for a peaceful night without tossing and turning.


Glancing out the window, the startling early morning blue sky promised a scorcher of a day. She threw it wide open to lean out and take a deep breath of the fresh air. Apart from a few birds chirping noisily from a tree somewhere, the immediate area was quiet and calm. She had been itching to get down to the river ever since she arrived but she had been so busy getting settled that there simply hadn’t been an opportunity. Today was the day!


A quick rummage through the wardrobe and she had located her running gear. She had loved to run back in California, it was the only time of the day that she ever had completely to herself. Fifteen minutes later after a quick trip to the bathroom she was good to go. Togged out in her favourite capri leggings and matching tank top she added her favourite faded 49’rs cap to the outfit to shield her eyes from the glaring sun.


Outside, the massive stone columns of the porch provided a convenient hand support as she went through her pre-jog stretching ritual. With packing and then moving it had been well over a fortnight since she’d pounded the pavement last and her muscles weren’t getting any younger, they needed every bit of help she could give them. Shaking out her arms and hands, she gently jogged down to the road pausing to hop from one foot to the other as she debated which way to go. Straight down to her right beyond some trees the silver breadth of the river shimmered invitingly in the distance. Hoping to find a loop of sorts that would take her along the banks she set off in that direction, her ankles easily absorbing the shock of the dusty pavement beneath her feet. The small road ahead seemed to disappear in the direction of the river but as she jogged closer she could see it forked off onto a private lane of sorts, another large house sitting on the opposite side. Frowning she pulled up, a large painted sign drawing her attention.



PRIVATE PROPERTY
NO TRESPASSING



Well that was just great! Dammit! She stared at the sign in frustration and then looked around to scan the area, hands placed firmly on her hips in displeasure. A freakin great river practically on her doorstep and she couldn’t get to it! She wondered briefly if the land was part of the Bon Jovi estate, there wasn’t a gate as such stopping her from going on just that big rude sign. She hated signs like that; well truthfully she hated anything that stopped her in her tracks. Exhaling in disgust she turned to head back up the road, she was just going to have to find an alternative route. Before she could take a step, she froze as that familiar athletic figure came into her sights, jogging down the road towards her and steadily coming closer to the spot where she stood rooted to the ground.


Oh CRAP!

4 comments:

  1. Lol love the last line " Oh Crap", that is exactly what I would say. Great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emerald, DON"T STOP THERE!!!!!

    Great chapter, but I need to know what happens next!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. And she leaves us hanging!!!!!

    ReplyDelete